When a user searches for an apartment on any online travel agency (OTA) the order in which the apartments are shown is determined by the platform. The order matters because users tend to pick their apartment from the first pages of their search results.
There are different components that have an impact on the ranking of the properties like pricing, amenities & services, availability, conversion, or quality of the listing. Follow these suggestions to boost your property's ranking on Homelike.
1. Keep pricing competitive
One of the most important factors in determining the ranking of your apartment on Homelike is its pricing. Homelike's algorithm takes into account the competitiveness of your rates, so it's important to keep your pricing up-to-date and in line with the market. In low seasons, offering special rates for a selected timeframe can help avoid vacancies and improve your ranking.
To determine a competitive rate for your apartment, consider factors such as its location, size, and amenities. You can also research the rates of similar apartments in your area to get a sense of what the market is charging.
Here are a few best practices:
- On average, the rates for a midterm apartment are about 40% lower compared to short stay rental
- The added flexibility provided by midterm rentals may come at a premium of approximately 20% compared to standard long-term rentals.
- In general, property managers who offer discounts in their Homelike listings tend to receive more bookings.
2. Ensure high-quality pictures
High-quality pictures are a must!
Every apartment should have a variety of different images showing every room of the apartment. Not only the quality but also the quantity plays a big role in your image quality ranking – the more pictures the better.
You can find our best practices here:
- Choose a resolution from 1280px to 780px.
- Take photos in landscape format, pictures in portrait format do not show enough of your apartment and thus give a bad impression.
- Prepare your apartment for the photos exactly as you would prepare it for a guest.
- Take the photos during the day to get the best light.
- Emphasize features such as an extra-large bed, a terrace with a great view, or a modern kitchen.
- You should at least upload a photo of each room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and exterior view of your house. The minimum is 6 photos per listing.
- We also recommend that you upload a floor plan of your apartment so that customers can see the layout of the room.
3. Keep your descriptions relevant and updated
Relevant and updated descriptions on your listing can have a positive impact on getting more requests. A listing’s descriptions should always be self-explained and leave no room for questions. Be sure to be thorough and include all information that will motivate users to request your apartment.
4. Focus on your target group
Homelike has a strong focus on B2B customers who have a special need and interest in services like:
- Extra services (regular cleaning or parking spot)
- flexible move-in options (e.g late arrivals of tenants)
- flexible cancellation and termination policies (e.g if a project end sooner than expected)
- the company guarantees rather than high deposits (e.g less administrative work)
- correct and on-time invoicing
The number of requirements that match the filters of the user has an impact on the ranking.
5. Manage your availabilities
Accurate availabilities ensure relevant requests with a high chance of a conversion.
Proper management of your availabilities on a regular basis that ensures live availability will boost your ranking. A high amount of declines due to wrong availability will have a negative impact on your property’s ranking.
Are you using a PMS or a channel manager? Chances are that we have an integration with them. You can find more information about the integration options on our dedicated webpage.
6. Review your performance
Online platforms like Homelike focus a lot on the performance of their partners. There are various key performance indicators (KPI’s) that you can find in your dashboard and that have an impact on your ranking score. Focus on your decline rate and your response time in order to increase the likelihood of a booking.
Follow these tips to improve your property's ranking on Homelike and increase your bookings today!