The "Gesetz zur Mietenbegrenzung im Wohnungswesen in Berlin" (MietenWoG Bln), better known as the "rent cap" or "Mietendeckel", aims to control the development of rents in Berlin over the next five years by means of rent caps.
When does the law come into force?
The Berlin Senate passed the law on January 30, 2020 and it will probably come into force on March 1, 2020, with retroactive effect from June 18, 2019.
Who is affected?
The law applies to Berlin housing with the exception of
- of housing in publicly subsidised housing construction,
- of housing for which public funds have been granted for modernisation and repair and which is subject to rent control
- of residential property that was ready for occupancy for the first time as of 1 January 2014,
- of living space in a dormitory and
- of housing rented or let by a legal person under public law or a recognised private welfare institution for the purpose of providing persons with urgent housing needs, care or sharing.
Are furnished apartments also affected?
Yes. According to §3 paragraph 5 MietenWoG Bln, furniture and equipment are included in the "capped" net cold rent.
What limits have been set?
Net cold rent prices for the square metre were set at between €3.92 - €9.80, depending on the year of construction of the building. In case of modern equipment of the flat or modernization measures carried out, the limit value can be increased by 1€/m².
|First-time occupancy of the apartment and equipment
|Net cold rent per
|until 1918 with collective heating and with bath
|until 1918 with collective heating or with bath
|until 1918 without collective heating and without bath
|1919 to 1949 with collective heating and with bath
|1919 to 1949 with collective heating or with bath
|1919 to 1949 without collective heating and without bath
|1950 to 1964 with collective heating and with bath
|1950 to 1964 with collective heating or with bath
|1965 to 1972 with collective heating and with bath
|1973 to 1990 with collective heating and with bath
|1991 to 2002 with collective heating and with bath
|2003 to 2013 with collective heating and with bath
Where can I find further information?
On the official website of the city of Berlin you will find the law for download and current news on the subject of "rent caps". In addition, the most important questions and answers are summarized there.